A Year in Reflection
This isn’t something that should happen only once a year, but today was an official day of reflection. I’m 22. So. How have things been going… What needs to improve… What needs to change.
Number 1 on that list -as always- was being daily in the Word. If I’m honest, it’s been difficult to read lately and it’s something that needs to change.
So I was being lazy today, flipping through the pages, and landed in Proverbs 14. I clearly had been interested in this chapter, because there in verse one I had it underlined several times over with some notes in the side column.
The verse itself says: “Every wise woman builds her house, but a foolish one tears it down with her own hands.”
It’s been weighing on my heart today, so as I was “reflecting” today I decided to think about how a single lady should build her house. Here’s what I decided:
1. I want to live securely under His promises and I desperately need His Word to be my foundation. If my foundation isn’t solid and if I don’t know my identity and who I am under, when the rains come my house is going down! I don’t want that!
2. I want my house to be built solid though trust, faith, and grace (forgiveness). These three will hold my structure together.
3. I want to see people with compassion and kindness. Thus, the windows.
4. I hope that my actions are hospitable and loving, so that I am able to enter in relationships with others here. Thus, the walkway and door.
5. I want to be humble and gentle in all that I do. That’s who I want to become. I don’t want to be prideful or boastful in myself. I want my appearance to be nothing special. To be quiet in Him and meek. My constant struggle.
So if I am building my house. This is what I want: HIM, grace, love, trust, faith, compassion, kindness, love, gentleness, humility and hospitality. That’s a lot. Something I’ll be striving for, for a long time. Of course, there is tons more I can add… But today, this is how I want my house to look. This is who I want to be.